Unfortunately, all cannot live near a beach and enjoy playing with sand. Yet, if you want your kids to get the thrill and enjoyment of playing with natural sand, there is a way. The safety and health of your kid or kids’ are more important than enjoyment. It is humanly impossible to try and know which is the best one for your kids. Hence, we are trying to save you from this headache. Now, we are providing the eight best sand for sandbox.
Our Top Picks
|Sandtastik Sparkling White Play Sand||Natural White||25 Pounds||3 and above|
|Kinetic Original Moldable Sensory Play Sand||Multi-color||2 Pounds||36 months and above|
|Pure Organic Ingredients Play Sand||Brown||5.07 Pounds||3 and above|
|NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Play Sand||Multi-color||12.62 Pounds||3 and above|
|Activa Decor, 5-Pound, White Sand||Multi-color||5 Pounds||3 and above|
|Quikrete Play Sand 50 lb||Tan||50 Pounds||3 and above|
|Original Jurassic Play Sand – 50 Pound||Orange||50 Pounds||12 months and above|
|SAKRETE | All-Natural Play Sand | 50 lb||Light Tan||50 Pounds||3 and above|
Top 10 Best Sand for Sandbox Reviews
1. Perfect for both indoors and outdoors: Sandtastik Sparkling White Play Sand
Kids always pick and love to play with bright-colored objects. And the same applies to the sands, so Sandtastik offering a safe and sparkling white sand for your kids to play.
These sands glow beautifully in every sandbox. This sparkling glow quality attracts all kids and makes them jump into the heap of sand and play with it. This sand is eye-catching and ideal for performing various activities and in both outdoor and indoor.
This sand is used by various earning environments, including classrooms, childcare, etc., to enhance kids’ creativity and developmental skills.
If your kids indulge in playing with sand even for hours together, you no need to worry about it since it is completely safe for kids. It is non-toxic, so you can, without any tension, leave your kids to play in the sandpit for hours. So, it definitely finds its place in the best sand for sandbox list.
Why do we like it?
This is a beautiful white and sparkling sand that drives your kids to play all day long. This is a perfect choice for all kids from the age of three years and above.
- Very few fine particles. So the dust is less.
- It can be easily molded when it is wet.
- Hundred percent safe sand. It does not include quartz, asbestos, nuts, and wheat.
- Great value for your money.
- It is completely safe because of the absence of toxic elements.
- Very easy to clean, and it gives a soft feel.
- Eye-catchy bright white sand.
- Compared to others, it gives slightly more dust.
- Some users reported the sand fleas.
- Natural white color
- Grain size 0.08 – 0.4 mm
- The package contains 25 pounds of sand.
2. Easiest to mold sand for sandbox: Kinetic Original Moldable Sensory Play Sand
If you wonder what is the best kind of sand for a sandbox, then Kinetics’ sand is worth considering. This play sand for sandbox is one of the easiest to mold and provide the shape of your kid’s choice.
The Kinetic sand is easy to squeeze and provide any shape; this is made possible because of the sands’ sticky nature. But you no need to worry about the stickiness because the sand sticks to itself, not to your kid’s hands or body.
Consequently, you can easily clean once playtime is over and store for the next time usage. If you leave them aside, it loosens and provides a real sand feel, and if you press them together, it sticks!
The best part of this sand is the multi-color options. You can either select pink or green colored sand and make your kids play with it by giving shape to their creative thoughts. Not only these two, but there are also numerous colors, from metallic ones to sparkling neon colors to shine your artwork.
Why do we like it?
The best thing about this sand is the availability in multiple colors. Your kid can choose the color of their choice and enjoy the playtime.
- Best play sand for sandbox with sticky nature.
- It is Free of casein, gluten, and wheat.
- Stickiness provides additional ease of working.
- Sand is completely free of toxic elements.
- It is made from natural sand, and consequently, you can reuse them for eternity!
- Available in different colors
- Very hard to clean it.
- The package contains 2 pounds of sand.
- It is available in numerous colors.
- Manufactured from natural sand.
3. Safest sand for sandbox: Pure Organic Ingredients Play Sand
If you are looking for safe sand for sandbox with pure organic content, it is the best one for your kids. It is a perfect sand for enhancing the creative, spatial, and kinesthetics of your kids. It is safer for every kid, and they can easily mold this sand in the way they want.
The sand is carefully washed and grated to make it easier to build and mold. Even the packaging is done with eco-friendly and natural paper bags. Your kids can use this sand both inside and outside of your house.
If you are not satisfied with sand quality, you can return, and a hundred percent money-back is guaranteed from the manufacturer. This is the best sand for a sandbox for the kids who are three years and above.
Why do we like it?
As the manufacturer’s name says, it is a completely organic product, and even the package is made of eco-friendly paper bags.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor usage.
- Perfectly designed for play areas and sandboxes.
- Easily molds with a little bit of water.
- Pure organic sand is completely natural.
- The package is manufactured with eco-friendly materials.
- It can be used anywhere, including indoor and outdoor.
- It contains more dust.
- The package contains 5.07 pounds of sand.
- Recommended for 3 years and above kids.
- Looks like natural sand in its color and texture.
4. Best educational toys sand for sandbox: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Play Sand
If your kids love to play with colors without any hazardous elements, the sand from the National Geographic store is the ideal colored sand for sandbox. This sand is kinetic, so kids can easily shape, build, and mold since it sticks to itself and your kid’s clothes and body.
The biggest advantage is that it comes in seven different colors to choose different colors and build attractive molds. The packaging comes with six attractive molds, and using them; kids can create pyramids, castles, and many more. The package contains 12 pounds of the set, and this special mixture will not get dried out easily.
Consequently, you can use it, again and again, multiple times. This sand arrives with a 100% satisfaction guarantee from National Geographic. The natural sand is toxic-free, and you can easily clean the sand once your kid finished playing.
Why do we like it?
This is one of the best sand for sandbox, and adding to that; it comes with the 100% satisfaction guarantee from National Geographic. This sand package arrives in seven different colors, so if you are looking to provide more color choices for your kid, this is the right one.
- It comes with blue, green, natural, pink, purple, multi-color, and red color combinations.
- The sticky sand doesn’t dry out soon, and you can reuse it multiple times.
- It comes with six different molds.
- It can be used multiple times.
- Easy to mold and easy to clean.
- This sensory sand is kinetic, and as a result, it sticks easily.
- Available in different colors.
- It sticks with everything.
- The package contains 12 pounds of sand.
- Designed for 3 years and above kids.
- Available in seven colors.
5. Best-colored play sand for sandbox: Activa Decor, 5-Pound, White Sand
This set of sand is beautiful and available in a different range of colors. These colors are enough to grab the attention of all people around the sandbox. This is the best-colored play sand for sandbox that is recommended for kids of three years and above.
The fun is guaranteed for your kids while playing with the sand, and this is the reason why we see this in the top-selling list. However, it can become a little problematic for parents since it stains your kid’s hands and clothes.
The best thing is it comes with 19 different color combinations, and it introduces new colors for your kids and provides shape to your kid’s imagination and creativity. It is completely safe to use and made 100% from natural sand. Activa decor sand is AP approved sand, and AMCI certified to ensure maximum safety to your kid’s health.
Why do we like it?
If you are looking to enhance your kid’s creativity and imagination with a different color combination, this is the best one for you.
- It is available in different colors, and it is water and fade-proof.
- Ideal for craft projects, school projects, sand art, and home decor.
- Completely safe and toxic-free with the absence of quartz and silica.
- It arrives with a total of 19 different color combinations.
- Very easy to clean with exceptional quality sand.
- Easy to work and mold.
- It is too fine and consequently comes with more dust.
- It can easily be blown away with air.
- The sand set contains five pounds of sand.
- Free from quartz and silica.
- ACMI approved, and it meets CA Prop standards.
6. Perfect for molding and building: Quikrete Play Sand 50 lb
This is another safe to use play sand specially designed for kids sandbox. The sand is the excellent graded sand that is washed, screened, and dried for safe use. The package comes with a huge quantity of sand with 50 pounds of sand. So, your kids can create big buildings, forts, pyramids, and many more.
This sand is a perfect choice for molding and building since it stays strong for many hours. The sand looks like natural beach sand with tan color, and it is fine to touch. Since it is collected from the beaches, many users reported the finding of tiny rocks and stones. Hence for your kid’s safe play, make sure to filter them before using them.
Why do we like it?
If you have more than one kid and need more sand to play with less budget, it is the best choice for you. It comes with 50 pounds of the bag, so your kids will never find the lack of sand to play.
- The package comes in a package of 50 pounds.
- Natural beachside sand.
- Ideal for kids of three years and above.
- Excellent value for money.
- Smooth and fine grain size.
- Huge quantity of sand with easy moldability.
- Reports of finding stones and rocks in a few bags.
- The color and texture of sand differ.
- Natural sand with tan color.
- Specially washed, dried, and screened.
- It is completely natural and free from toxic elements.
7. Perfect for outdoor sandboxes: Original Jurassic Play Sand – 50 Pound
If you wonder how much sand for sandbox is enough for your naughty kids, this 50 pounds bag is more than enough. This sand is taken from the desert, and if you fill them all around your room, it provides an authentic desert looks!
The gorgeous natural orange color sand is easy to mold, and your kid can build the pyramids or fort as they wish. The quantity of 50 pounds is a plus point since only a few manufacturers provide large quantities of natural sand to play with.
It is completely free from chemical dyes and dust. As a result, it won’t upset your children’s health by causing any sort of allergy or other health issues. It is a perfect solution for classrooms and other indoor arrangements. In the same way, it is very convenient and useful for outdoor usage. Even the kids with asthma can use it since it produces less dust.
Why do we like it?
If you are looking for the best sand for sandbox with a large quantity of sand, it is the best choice for you. You can get a generous amount of sand with 50 pounds in a gorgeous orange color. If you love to see the desert sand in your home, it is the best choice for you.
- The sand is burnt and comes with a natural desert sand texture.
- Perfect sand for your kid’s sandbox with its soft texture.
- You can use it in both wet and dry conditions.
- Less amount of dust.
- The price is reasonable, and it is a great value for money.
- A huge quantity of sand comes without any chemical substances.
- It is not sticky and tends to dry out soon.
- It is designed for kids above one year.
- The package comes with a quantity of 5 pounds.
- The sand is orange in color.
8. Traction Sand For Ice & Snow: SAKRETE | All-Natural Play Sand | 50 lb
We have already visited a couple of 50 pounds packages sand packages so far, and it is another excellent bag of sand available in the market. This sand is carefully screened, washed, and dried to make it safer for your kids to play.
This package contains a substantial amount of sand to play inside and outside of your home and classroom. This sand is ideal for molding and building different shapes and sizes of buildings.
It is an excellent choice for filling your kid’s sandbox and making concrete as well. The color of this is natural tan and provides the feeling of playing with natural sand available on beaches and lakesides.
Why do we like it?
It is one of the very few sandbags that contains 50 pounds of natural sand and ideal for three years and above aged children.
- The bag is full of natural sand with tan color.
- Easy to mold and create buildings.
- The sand is completely safe for children because of the absence of chemicals.
- It easily molds and sticks to itself.
- Great value for your money.
- A huge amount of sand is available.
- The price tag looks expensive, and other manufactures provide the same quantity with less price.
- The sand comes with natural tan color.
- The overall dimension of the package is 4.5 x 13 x 19.5 inches.
- You can get 50 pounds of sand in this package.
Why Sandbox Play Is So Important?
Not only the kids, but even the adults also enjoy playing in the sand for long hours. It brings several benefits to your kids, so let us see the benefits of sand play.
- Playing in sand is extremely important for kids because it introduces different colors, names, places, and shapes to your kid. Learning while playing is extremely effective for your kids.
- It improves your children’s motor skills since they use small tools to build, bury, dig, and carry the sand.
- Playing with sand involves burying themselves with sand and other related activities. As a result, your child develops its proprioceptive sense and understands the nature of the body.
- Playing with sand from a very young age helps improve soft skills such as communication, grip on the language, playing in a team, and others.
What to Look for When Purchasing sand for sandbox?
Kids are more sensitive than adults. Hence you must be very cautious before selecting sand for the sandbox. The two important things to consider are as follows.
The sands must be nuisance dust and dyes free. If you get natural sand, it will be toxic-free and provides a safer, fun time. It must pass two tests in terms of safety, including the sand safety test and nuisance dust test.
The sand you select needs to be efficient to provide more fun. If they are not good enough to build the castle, the fun will be limited. If the sand is human-made, its granule size will be uneven, and they blend poorly. To provide excellent fun for your kids, it must go through two tests. The sugar test checks whether all grains are the same size or not, and another is the sandcastle test. It checks the veracity of the product.
Sandbox Alternatives for Sand
Sandbox is extremely beneficial for your kids. But many times, it can cause a real mess in your house, and if the dust exists in the sand, it creates severe issues for your kids. Hence even after researching and knowing what kind of sand is best for a sandbox, still your kid is not comfortable with sand. There are other options available for you. So let us have a look at those options.
- Dry Rice
- Walnut shells (crushed)
- Dried beans
These options are natural; hence you will become tension free from the mess natural sand creates. They are also free from chemicals and easy to clean up once your kids stop playing.
FAQs for sand for sandbox
Why few play sand fails to clear a nuisance dust test?
Several sands fail the nuisance dust test because they were not cleaned properly. If the manufacturer cleans them properly, it will remove every impurity that causes dust and nuisance.
What is the significance of the sugar test when it comes to the quality of sand?
If any sand doesn’t pass the sugar test, that means those are human-made. Hence, they are not good for building sandcastles.
How to conduct the sugar test at home?
This is a straightforward task. You need a fine-mesh strainer for that. Pour sand on a strainer, and if small particles fell through and a larger one remains on the strainer, your job is done.
There are several alternatives available for sand. However, there is no substitute for real sand and the fun it gives to children. Hence, you need to select the best sand for your sandbox, free from all the chemicals and hazardous things. Hence, we hope the things we provided here will help you to choose the better sand for your sandbox. Still, if you cannot decide which is the best one for your kids, you can select any one of the suggestions we provided out of these eight products. All of them are natural and safe to use for your kids. The recommendation we gave here is the best type of sand for sandbox.